Friday, April 27, 2012

It's Not the "Power of Positive Thinking"...

I have a thought: perhaps it's not the power of positive thinking, but rather the power of thinking positively.  The way we see the world has an enormous effect on our affect.  However, all too often, I think we continually set our sights on how much better off, how much happier we would be if we could just land that job, get that bigger salary (caveat if you truly do need that salary to cover basic needs...sorry folks, that new patio or plasma TV doesn't count), or that brand-spanking-new car.  If we could only get, we would receive.  But why do we stress getting?  Why do we need more stuff?  I instead advocate for treating daily circumstances as opportunities for using what we already have, and being thankful for it.

Struggles are an opportunity for growth, annoyances are windows for patience.  The Dalai Lama advocates thanking those people with whom you must interact but absolutely drive you nuts, as they're providing you the opportunity to practice compassion and patience.  In the same vein, the way we decide - yes, decide: we cannot control what others do, but we do have total control over how we choose to react - to view certain circumstances can change our perspective and become less frazzled.  For my job, I often find myself driving through Madison during what we'll call "inopportune times of day".  If you've ever found yourself in a metropolitan area during such a time of day, you'll understand how frustrating it can be.  I've been trying to take this time to #1: recognize that I'm well aware the traffic pattern during the times of day I'll be travelling, and as such am more than able to modify my departure time to avoid it - i.e. leave earlier.  #2: Understand that often there are extenuating circumstances for the traffic, and that it's not actually anyone's fault, certainly not the person trying to merge that I'm continually foiling.  And if traffic's especially bad, usually due to an accident, rather than being upset that I'll be late, I've been trying to change my reaction to one of thanks that it wasn't me or my friends or family involved.  It's useful to keep in mind that things aren't good or bad.  Things just are.

So I see real value in looking on the bright side.  I don't believe that things magically appear if you will them to, but happiness and success, I think, are precluded heavily by focusing on being thankful for and using what you have, not on what you wish you had.

No comments:

Post a Comment