Sunday, March 1, 2015

Wait wait wait...who's responsible?

As mentioned last month, I've been going through a recently-rediscovered stockpile of old drafts and post ideas and uncovered this gem, first drafted back in March of 2013. While the specific inspiration for the post is long lost on me, I thought it was still relevant when thinking about accountability. Enjoy!

- - - - - - -  - - - -

Here's a fun tidbit I've been observing.  And bear in mind that there's a good chance that after reading it, your only response will be an eye-roll, a self-acknowledging shrug, and a rhetorical, open-ended "yeah, and...?".  Anyway, why is it that it seems that when things are going well for you that you're the one who created that situation, but when things aren't going your way or the cards don't fall in your favor, it tends to be someone else's fault?   I mean, when you're doing well enough, it's because you've earned it, right?  "I put myself where I am today.  I worked and toiled and sweated to get where I am.  I earned this."  We're entitled to the fruits of our labor; after all, it's not like anyone helped us out, right?  It's those poor people, those leeches on welfare that keep taking from my hard-earned cash-cow, right?  "I worked hard, and look where I am!  Why can't they do the same?!?!"

But, same coin here folks, why is it that when it comes to things heading downhill, chances are it's someone else's fault?  We like to blame our boss, the jerk in the next cubicle, the Democrats or Republicans, the 1% or the 99%, the economy, our kids' teachers...whatever we may not like, for the conflicts and hurdles thrown in our path.  I know I'm guilty of the same thinking from time to time (and probably more often than that), vilifying people who have "taken what I've worked for", finding it easier to blame someone, anyone, other than myself.  How could it be my fault?  I worked to build it up meaning someone else knocked it down.

But at least it's not my fault, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment