Tuesday, March 13, 2012

When People ARE Watching

When I started writing this blog, I did so telling myself that it could be used as a springboard, deceiving myself with dreams of grandeur after reading through some of the more widely read and influential blogs.  And yet, even as I began writing, designing the layout, adding gadgets and choosing fonts, I really hadn't expected anyone to actually read my words.  Of course, these thoughts only come to mind now that it has been noticed.  Now I'm faced with the question: how do you act when people ARE watching?  The dozen posts that came before this one had been written - I now realize - uninhibited by concern for anyone but myself.  That may very well not be the case anymore.  Of course, the insight to be gleaned here is the real-life applicability of what I've found to be a cornerstone off moral action: "Would you be comfortable if your actions were posted on the front page of the newspaper?"  The element of accountability is a significant thing.  If anything, I feel impelled to reread, reconsider, and THINK about what I post.

Now, I also realize that this may be a far-fetched idea: thinking MORE about potentially controversial issues or in thrusting my opinion onto the permanence of the internet.  Too often, the presence of an audience offers not accountability, but encouragement to move even farther away from true analysis and more toward creating the controversy so desired by many.

I think I'll stick to doing it my way.  I realize strong opinions enhances contention and boosts patronage, but I don't want to be read because I argue with people, or tell some people what they like to hear at the expense of telling others what they won't read anyway.  Exploiting that partisan way of thinking my boost ratings but inevitability only contributes to a further split.  Too often this divide is more important than the issue itself, and we focus on our disagreement.  But taking the less exciting path, it's my hope to remain readable regardless of the issue, for that's where I hope we can begin a dialogue to progress on the issues, rather than attempt to force one down the others throat.

Besides, I'm prone to the idiosyncrasy of seeing multiple sides to an issue.  Hence "Arguing With Myself" - give me long enough and I'll go back and clarify, rephrase, or down right disagree with myself.

So what about you?  How do you act when people ARE watching?  Would you be alright broadcasting your opinion at Christmas dinner?

No comments:

Post a Comment