Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Why Go to College, revisited.

In the spirit of arguing with myself, I revisited my post regarding going to college.  I know why I went, but obviously that's not why others may opt to attend or not.  Am I advocating for everyone to attend a four-year institution?  Of course not.  What's right for one isn't necessarily right for all.  Am I advocating that everyone develop themselves enough to think critically and synthesize information and evaluate the validity of an argument?  Of course.  That's a vital part of what I see as a rounded individual.

But what does it mean to be "educated"?  Does it mean an associates degree? A technical degree? Undergrad?  Master's?  Doctoral?  Is one inherently better than another?  Let me pose a side question: what would happen if 100% of United States citizens had a doctoral degree?  Or a graduate degree?  What would happen if 100% of us had a bachelor's degree?  Is that required for most jobs?  Is it necessary to survive?  Would we not still have jobs and careers that don't require that piece of paper?  Would anyone want to do them anymore?  Too often through my undergraduate education and after, I've heard people decrying their entry-level or manual labor jobs, that such work was below them because they "have a degree".  What a crock.  A piece of paper doesn't make you any better or worse than the next person. 

What I DIDN'T learn in my undergraduate experience has been much of what I'm finding to be the more important aspects of adult life.  College didn't teach me anything about engines or car repairs.  I didn't learn any electric or plumbing.  I didn't learn how to build of fix a house.  I didn't learn how to mend, sew, or cook from any class.  

So is necessary for everyone to attend a four-year college or university?  Not in the slightest.  Summers between semesters I worked as a landscaper, rising with the sun, sweating and toiling through the day, and when we finished, we could look at what we'd created and be proud.  Helping a friend with some light remodeling work brought the work boots out of hiding as we plastered drywall, insulated walls, and sealed windows.  And again, we looked at what we'd down at the end of the day and could be proud with that we accomplished.  I've found that some of the most satisfying moments in my professional life have been those where the visible fruits of my labor are apparent (I'm a middle child so I suppose I was born to crave attention!)

And I have caught myself wondering if, knowing what I know now, would I do it all over again?

No comments:

Post a Comment